Wednesday, 16 April 2014

ripping back

well, i had intended to have photos for you of mumsy's finished birthday gift, but the knitting deities would choose tonight to curse me with a single stitch that required ripping out about 3 hours worth of work. i got my stitches back to before the mistake and am casting on another project to give myself a mental break. and i'm posting this tonight instead of tomorrow since the project definitely won't be blocked in time for a post in the morning. the wonderful world of knitting is always a busy one for me, and i seem to go from no major deadlines to several important ones in the space of a few days. it's nice though. i enjoy the busyness (although i could certainly do without the ripping back…).


yesterday heralded the arrival of my tanis fiber arts yarn for the ease pullover kal at wolseley wool. i'm a couple weeks late getting started, so i'll have to knit quickly to play catch up. which could prove a little bit difficult, given that i have undies to make for the 26th and a semi-commission that's finally been sorted out that should technically take priority. my tfa blue label should also be arriving within the next week, which will mark the start of some frantic-ish summer market prep. it's all fine and good though. i work much better with deadlines in place, and preferably a few deadlines at a time. lucky for you all, a lot of projects mean a lot of wip and fo photos too!

this mohair is the yarn i'll be using for the semi-commission (it's for a friend of mum's, so it's not a typical commission). normally i don't do mohair, but she actually bought the yarn back in the summer specifically so i could make her something with it. i'll be working with sylvia bo bilvia's lonely tree shawl pattern. for you punk knitters out there (i know several of you haligonians fit this bill), she just released a hat pattern you'll probably love. check out swoon here.

swoon's model savanna striking a pose like most of my haligonian loved ones. i could have chosen a less "edgy" pic, but this one made me snort. and it's my current sentiment towards ripping out stitches. and i've been pissed off recently by the amount of unnecessary censorship/silencing/dismissal of alt voices in online knitting world. so if you don't like it, bite me. actually, bite me anyway. please and thanks.

3 comments:

  1. Where is there censorship silencing or dismissal of alt voices in the knitting world. Well, I guess I wouldn't know it if it does happen! That sucks tho. I'd like to hear more.

    I was thinking about this just today. I probably self censor a lot. I blog as part of my job, so I've developed a certain voice. And now picking up writing in my own blog, I'm finding it hard to just be myself. In real life I swear like a sailor, and I'm more abstract. Random and associative.

    I want to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've noticed it mostly in relation to content that involves swearing (despite the fact that "stitch & bitch" is and has been a thing for knitters for ages) or sexual material. sylvia bo bilvia recently wrote a blog post about her experience on the ravelry forums after someone took offense to her using “shit” in a pattern. (here’s the link: http://softsweaterfibres.blogspot.ca/2014/04/hurtful-things-on-forums.html?showComment=1396404259804) the comments on patterns like milo richards' "fuckable smuppet" or fingerless mitts that i'm pretty sure were called "cunt mitts" (i can't remember the designer, and the pattern seems to have mysteriously disappeared from ravelry) range from people loving them to calling the designer a "sicko" and insulting their intelligence/ethics/making veiled accusations of pedophilia (poor milo)…the idea that knitting could be for anything other than making items that fit within a wasp-ish idea of acceptability, or that designers use language more colourful than that you'd use in a daycare setting, seems to be incredibly problematic for some people, and those people resort to vitriolic comments and posts that a) border on harassment a lot of the time b) make huge assumptions about other people (whom they've probably never met) and their personal lives/beliefs/work ethic and c) that they'd probably never make if they had to do it face to face. the internet is great in a lot of ways, but the sense of anonymity it offers - or pretends to offer to – people seems to make it easier for folks to be cruel and callous without considering the effect they’re having on one another.

      Delete
    2. and i hear you on trying to figure out an online voice. i think that living in primarily alt communities (theatre, art, activist, feminist, queer) allows and encourages me to not silence my own voice and not allow mainstream society’s standards of acceptability to censor language that i use or topics i cover. i also am in a more unique position as a freelance artist/activist with a support network in place that allows me to stick to my morals as often as i do. there are definitely layers of privilege in play with that. of course, i’m very much aware that my public online voice can impact opportunities and jobs. i’ve been lucky in that i have such a long track/work record that proves i can shift my self-expression and interaction to fit within whatever elements are in place at a job (i.e. using appropriate language and subject matter with kids, not pressing personal political views when working for government agencies, etc.). and the online voice i use for projects that are solely mine is different from the one i use for shared projects. i dial down the swearing significantly when i’m writing anything for my theatre company, because it’s not just me that i’m representing at that point. when i do swear, i usually indicate somehow it’s my voice being used at that moment so that i’m the one at fault if someone takes offense.

      also, when i blog or write or tweet, i usually don’t make a point about being an asshat to any specific person. i have no problem calling someone out for harassing/oppressing/abusing their privilege, but i usually lean more towards the idea that you can catch more flies with honey – being overly aggressive and not listening to someone who is/could be ready to engage in a real dialogue is counterproductive. if that fails and the person continues to be an aggressive dick, then stepping away gracefully while maybe suggesting they go do some research on whatever topic is at issue (with relevant links/starting points) is usually my healthiest option. it’s much easier to misinterpret what people are trying to say online because you can’t hear the tone of their voice or see the nuances in their body language, so i think the default of assuming people aren’t meaning to be cruel (with the obvious exception of trolls) and that having an actual conversation or dialogue could result in both of you coming to an understanding is the best method. that’s my two cents :) more like a toonie’s worth, but y’know.

      Delete